A loaf is ideal for picnics, to take on a journey or simply tuck into between mealtimes. No guilt feelings particularly if I don’t stand on the weighing scale thereafter.
Here is the recipe that I have reproduced from the above blog with consent.
2 ¼ cups plain flour
2⁄3 cup Cocoa
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp instant coffee
2 cups caster sugar
1 cup soft butter
1 1/3 cups water – chilled
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius. In a bowl, add the butter and
the sugar, and cream the two together for about 5 minutes until it is
2. To the creamed mixture add the eggs one by one and beat for about 2 minutes. Then add the vanilla essence.
3. Sift into this, the flour, cocoa, coffee, baking powder and baking soda. Combine it gently till you get a smooth batter.
4. Add the chilled water to the batter and mix again. Fold the batter slowly, just till all of the water is incorporated.
5. To a lined loaf (or cake tin), Pour the chocolate cake batter. Bake
for about 20 minutes or until the cake has risen and a cake tester
comes out clean.